We understand that anti-social behaviour can be very stressful and frustrating. Remember that your neighbourhood coach and community safety officer are always here to help you and will offer help and guidance if you need it.

What can you do?

There are a number of things you can do to help the situation:

  1. Stay calm – remember that the person might not be aware that they are causing you distress and might be shocked to find out that they are upsetting you.
  2. Try and to see things from both points of view and remember to be reasonable.
  3. Talk things through - if you feel comfortable doing so, try speaking to the person about how they are affecting you. Don’t be aggressive and if you would like support, ask a friend to come along and support you.
  4. If you do not feel comfortable talking to your neighbour or if you have tried and didn’t reach an agreement, please contact us.
  5. Once reported to us your neighbourhood coach or community safety officer will need to be kept updated by you and will work with you to resolve the issue.

    What can we do?

    We aim to investigate each reported ASB case and act in a timely fashion. Depending on the nature of the anti-social behaviour that has been reported, a different approach will be taken to suit each case which is dependant on the seriousness of the report.

    How we investigate an ASB report

    1. We will listen to what has been reported by you
    2. We will speak to other agencies that may be involved in the case
    3. We will try and visit your neighbour and get their side of the case
    4. We may offer mediation if appropriate
    5. We will send warnings before we take formal action

      Next steps

      Non-legal action

      We will try the following options before we take any legal action:

      1. Mediation - We will offer this to you and your neighbours if you have a dispute with them.
      2. Warnings - We will usually use this in the initial stages of anti-social behaviour if it is not too serious.
      3. Acceptable behaviour contract - This is an agreement signed by the contract holder causing the problem agreeing to keep to the terms of their tenancy agreement.
      4. Transfer - We will only use this in cases where your safety is in immediate danger. It may include cases of racial harassment or other hate crimes and has to be supported by other agencies such as the police. Transfer depends on what properties we have available within the local authority area.

      We can only take action after we have investigated your complaint and found it justified. In some cases we may not be able to take any further action if, for example, there is no evidence to support your complaint or the behaviour does not involve breaking the contract.

      Legal action

      In most cases legal action is not appropriate and we will make every effort to sort out a dispute without going to court. However, in some instances we can and will apply to the court for one or more of the following:

      1. Undertaking - This is a promise given by one party to the County Court, relating to an obligation to the other party in proceedings. Undertakings are a legally binding promise which carry severe consequences if breached.
      2. Injunction - This is a court order prohibiting a person from taking a particular action or requiring them to take a particular action.
      3. Possession - If a person has a contract with us we can apply to the county courts to take the property back into the possession of Hafod, on certain grounds for example rent arrears, damage to the property and nuisance to neighbours (ASB). Possession proceedings do not always result in an eviction.