Top tips for saving energy in the kitchen and cooking smart.
- Your freezer uses more energy if it’s empty so make sure food is spread evenly in different drawers. You can use newspaper to fill empty spaces.
- Boil only the water you need in the kettle for a speedier and cheaper cuppa.
- Wash clothes at 30 degrees to save energy and make your clothes last longer.
- Turn off your oven 5-10 minutes before the end of your cooking time – the oven will stay hot to finish cooking your food without using energy.
- Keep your fridge between 3-5 degrees. This will keep your food cool but not too cool.
- Slow cookers are very energy efficient. They’ll also have a hot meal ready and waiting for you.